Japan and me (essay in English and in Japanese language)

The making of a Japan person, an intellectual evolution between two cultures

 I will begin my essay with a short biography: I studied French and English literature at the Sorbonne University before graduating with a degree in publishing. Then, while completing my Master’s degree, I began learning the Japanese language with an oral course once a week at the Japanese Institute of Paris. After my graduation, I continued my learning in the famous National Institute of Oriental Languages and Civilizations where I had various lectures on Japanese society, politics and economy. But my first encounter with Japan came before that, with my aikido practice and the organization of events around Japanese martial arts. This is how I have structured my essay and defined my intellectual evolution between two countries: Ai / Ki /Do.
Ai: Union. It is an easy pun with the word “ai” (love), but I really fell in love with the Japanese language during my aikido practice. After my degree in publishing, I decided to pursue my studies in Japanese with the aim of working in Japan. During the last year of my bachelor’s degree, I received scholarships from the Fondation de France and my University to study in Japan. Then I was accepted in the summer program of Social Sciences in Meiji University. This was the most interesting experience ever. It was the first time I’ve been in touch with Japanese students. On top of that, we shared our point of views during debates about politics and society and this defines the kanji “ai’ in aikido as an “action meeting”: the meeting of combining our differences, benefiting an intercultural experience and understanding “in live” what I learned during lectures in my studies. This is mainly why I applied to the Jet Program: to extend this international study experience with a work experience in a Japanese environment.
Ki: Energy. To want an experience in Japan is not sufficient for me. I have to understand their culture, their way of thinking as a whole, more thoroughly. This defines “ki”: the way of coordinating the energy, putting the hearts together to communicate with the adversity. For that, I developed my own vision of French and Japanese relations during my studies and experiences with Japanese people. I think this relation reflects a mutual fascination about culture and society. I was a volunteer in many activities which included exchange between France and Japan, and I came to the conclusion that these two countries still have many projects to build together despite their differences. For example, during my courses at the Maison de la culture du Japon in Paris, I made an exposé about the importance of robotics in Japan, how the androids and robots are linked with a kind of literature and deal with contemporary social problems as denatality. I was inspired by the performance of two plays given in the theater of Gennevilliers. Both plays were written by the playwright Oriza Hirata: how the implication of robots/androids in theater leads to another type of dramaturgy, their possible emotions and their interaction. In addition, European and Japanese people’s approaches differ.  Each culture has a specific conception of natural, artificial and humanity, notions that are deeply involved in theater as in robotic. That type of topic made me think about our cultural differences and how I could apprehend them. I could deal with these differences, show faculties of adaptation for making cultural and economic exchanges between France and Japan.
Do: Path and Way. Recently, during my involvement as a volunteer for the organization of a festival named Festival Samurai Japan, I saw French and Japanese children trying to play together with wooden handmade toys. They could not communicate directly so I was in charge of building bridges between them. This is the way I see the relations between Japan and France: a bridge to communicate, understand our cultural differences, share them and finally deal with them. This is a way and also a path I would like to follow. Not a one-way path but one with an unlimited round-trip ticket to finally symbolize what aikido means: the better way of combining forces. This is how any relation would be. The fact that the Jet program is exclusively in small or medium-sized towns is really a challenge to build that bridge and I would be able to spend all my energy for the better of developing and combining economic and cultural exchanges between local people and France. I have called my personal history with that country,” the making of a Japan person”, a person who would like to work with the country she studies so hard and to hand her culture down and take another culture in.

「合・気・道」
手短に自己紹介をさせていただきます。私はパリ・ソルボンヌ大学において仏文学と英文学を四年間専攻しました。その後、出版業に関わる修士課程を修了しました。その頃から週に一回パリの日本協会で日本語の会話練習を始めました。マスター修了後、フランス国立東洋言語文化大学(INALCO)の日本学部で日本語を本格的に学習しただけではなく、日本の社会や政治、経済、文化について学ぶ機会を得ました。
なぜ私が日本に強い興味を持ち、日本学を専攻するようになったかというと、高校生の時から習っている合気道との出会いが大きいです。以下では、「合//道」と言う三つの漢字をキーワードとして、私の日本への思い、実現したいことについて述べます。
まず、「合」とは、結び合わせることを意味します。合気道の練習をしていた時、日本とはどういう国だろう、日本をもっとよく知るために日本語を勉強してみたい、という気持ちが生まれるようになりました。それで、出版業に関するマスターを修了した後、日本で働けるようになるために日本語を勉強することに決めました。幸い、色々なチャンスが重なってその夢に少しずつ近づくことができました。昨年、日本学部の三年生だった時、Fondation de France(フランス財団)とINALCOからの奨学金を受けて、日本へ1ヶ月間語学研修をしに行くことができました。この二つの奨学金を受給したことが影響して、同じ時期に明治大学社会科学学科の夏休み短期プログラムに参加することができました。明治大学の短期プログラムへの参加は、私のこれまでの人生で最も興味深い経験でした。初めて日本の学生と日本の政治や社会について様々な議論を交わすことができました。この経験は、正に合気道の「合」の漢字が意味する、日本と私との「出会い」そのものでした私がJETプログラムに応募する一つ目の理由は、大学の講義でしか知ることのできなかった日本について現地で理解を深め、日本とフランスとの共通点と違いを日本の方々に知っていただきで、そして、異文化体験を通じてフランスと日本を結び合わせたいと強く願うからです。
次に、「気」とは、逆境に立ち向かうために周囲の人たちと通信するようにぱっと心が通い合うこと、気力を合わせることを意味します。日本とフランスは、文化や社会においてお互いに多くの魅力をもっていると思いますが、私はJETプログラムを通じて、両国の人々の理解と交流を深めたいと考えております。そのために、私は日仏交流に関する多くのボランティア活動を行いました。例えば、パリの日本文化会館で日本におけるロボットの役割と重要性についての発表を行いました。つまり、アンドロイドやロボットは、雇用や少子・高齢化など、様々な現代の社会問題といかに関係しているか、ということについて説明しました。ヨーロッパと日本との間では、ロボットに対する考え方が大きく異なることもありますが、この発表を通じて、ロボットに関する意見交換を会場の人達とできました。私は日本人とフランス人が協働できるような活動をしてみたいと考えております。
  そして、「道」とは、自分の文化を伝えると共に、他の文化との違いを理解することで、文化の違う人と考えを共有する、という「橋渡し」を意味します。合気道における「道」は一方通行の「道」ではなく、お互いに行ったり来たりできる双方向の「道」が重要視されています。そうすることで、双方が大きな力を発揮できるからです。日仏関係において、私は両国の「道」、「橋渡し」をしたいと考えております。最近フランスでは、侍ジャパンというイベントがあり、そこで私はボランティアとして働きました。このイベントでは、フランス人と日本人の子供たちが木でできた手作りのおもちゃで一緒に遊ぶ、という催しがあったのですが、私はこの子供たちが一緒に遊べるよう、通訳も含めたサポートを行いました。日仏間における草の根の「橋渡し」を実際に経験することができたことは、市や町といった地域社会とのつながりの中で行われるJETプログラムでも生かされることと思います。私は、地元の人々とフランス人の間において、経済的·文化的交流を発展させるような方法を見つけるために私のすべてのエネルギーを費やしたいと考えております。このような「合・気・道」の精神で日仏交流に貢献できましたら、これ以上の喜びはありません。

Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés